Patients trust healthcare professionals such as doctors, nurses, psychiatrists, dentists, chiropractors, podiatrists, hospital staff and other medical professionals to help them recover from illness and injury. Unfortunately, many people who turn to healthcare providers each year are injured by negligence or die from medical errors. While some errors are simply the result of mistake, many medical errors are preventable.
When a healthcare practitioner is careless or intentionally hurts a patient, a medical malpractice claim can be filed. To have a medical malpractice case, a patient must be injured by a medical error and the case must not be at the level of a crime. In these cases, the situation is known as a "tort," or civil wrong. In these cases, it is important to contact a qualified and experienced Florida attorney. Only a good Florida lawyer can investigate the case and determine whether the physician was legally responsible for injuring a patient. If a Florida can attorney can prove this, the healthcare professional can be held liable for their actions. The patient can also seek compensatory damages, which aim to put the patient in the same position they were before the injury. For example, if a doctor causes physical disfigurement to a patient during surgery, the patient can seek compensatory damages to help them get reconstructive surgery which will allow the victim to resume their normal life. Patients may also be able to seek punitive damages, which punish negligent or willfully malicious professionals and deter them from victimizing others. This is important, since it can help others from suffering at the hands of the same professional.
At Flaxman Law Group, we have helped many patients through medical malpractice cases and we know how difficult such cases can be. It is often devastating to turn to a professional healthcare provider for help only to get neglect or injury. Feelings of betrayal are common. Worse, people affected by medical malpractice tend to be already in a vulnerable position and so tend to suffer more. Patients who are already seriously ill when they are affected by malpractice may find that their chances of survival or recovery are diminished. When a misdiagnosis or incorrect treatment affects a cancer patient, for example, that patient may get much worse or may even pass away as a result of the wrong care.
There are many facets to medical malpractice. Malpractice can involve anything from missed or delayed diagnoses to a doctor not getting informed consent from a patient. Surgical injuries, anesthesia errors, obstetric/labor and delivery surgical injuries, and orthopedic surgical injuries are all common. In addition, some patients suffer from spinal cord stimulator injuries or from other injuries. Improperly prescribed, dispensed or filled medication is another common error that often causes serious injury and health problems.
The unreasonable conduct of a physician or health care provider or patient neglect and nursing home abuse can also constitute medical malpractice. In all these cases, the situations that develop from negligence or willful harm can be very serious. Injuries caused by healthcare professionals can cause permanent injury or even death.
If you have been the victim of medical malpractice, you need the help of qualified Florida attorneys. Sadly, without the help of qualified lawyers, you may not get the help you need — healthcare professionals are protected by powerful insurance companies. Flaxman Law Group can help ensure that you understand all your legal rights. We can fight for damages for you, so that you get the best treatment and health care possible after your ordeal. You can contact us online or call us at 1-866-352-9626 (1-866-FLAXMAN). We can set up a FREE consultation to discuss your legal options or even answer your questions over the phone.
- Emergency Room Malpractice
- Delayed Treatment
- Delayed Diagnosis, Misdiagnosis, And Failure To Diagnose
- Lab Error
- Failure to Fully Evaluate a Patient
- Failure to Fully Treat a Patient
- Failure to Monitor a Patient
- Medication Errors
- Surgical Errors
- Contaminated Blood Transfusions
- Poor Sanitation
- Birth Injuries
- Brachial Plexus Injuries
- Brain Injuries
- Cerebral Palsy
- Erb's Palsy
- Untreated Jaundice
- Meconium aspiration
- Excessive bleeding
- Intracranial Hemorrhage
- Obstetrical Errors Which Cause Birth Injuries
- Improper Use of Delivery Instruments
- Failure to Monitor the Fetus
- Failure to Respond to Fetal Distress
- Failure to perform a timely C-section
- Failure to Monitor the Mother
- Failure to Respond to Medical Problems in the Mother
- Inappropriate Medications Administered to the Mother
- Failure to Monitor and Treat Newborns
- Heart attack
- Brain Injury
- Neck Fractures
- Prescription Error
- Medication Which Is Inappropriate For the Medical Condition
- Medication Which Is Inappropriate For Patient Based On Medical History
- Multiple Prescriptions Given In Inappropriate Combinations
- Experimental Drugs Prescribed Without Patient Consent
- Incorrect Dose
- Administering the Wrong Medication
- Administering a Medication to The Wrong Patient
- Emergency Rooms Administering Pain Medications or Sedatives to An Intoxicated Patient
- Surgical Error
- Wrong Site Surgery
- Anesthesia Error
- Use of Surgical Instruments Which Have Not Been Properly Sterilized
- Sponges, Instruments, and Medical Devices Left Inside Patient During Surgery
- Cosmetic Surgery and Medical Malpractice Cases in Miami and Florida Miami is known for its cosmetic surgery clinics and patients from across the country and around the world travel to the city for cosmetic procedures. ....
- Finding a Personal Injury Attorney for Your Homestead Medical Malpractice Case Medical malpractice and misdiagnosis in Homestead and other American cities is a serious problem. According to some researchers, hundreds of thousands ....
- Unsafe Cosmetic Surgery Procedures Pose a Huge Medical Risk in Miami and Other Cities Miami is a city known for its beaches and its many beautiful and famous residents. This culture has created a huge interest in cosmetic surgery ....
- Understanding Malpractice Law if You Have a Claim in Miami Beach The statistics about medical malpractice cases are not good news for patients who have suffered medical negligence or misdiagnosis in Miami Beach or ....
- Medical Malpractice Laws Could Affect Your Claim in Homestead and Florida If you have suffered misdiagnosis in Homestead or any other Florida community or believe that you may have a medical malpractice claim for some ....