After a difficult birth, a seizure can be an early indication that an infant has suffered a serious birth injury or has a serious illness. If your child has seizures, it is important to get immediate medical attention but also to consult with a personal injury attorney in Miami or your community right away. You can always contact the Flaxman Law Group, for example, for a free consultation to discuss the legal options you have to protect your family.Seizure Types Associated with Birth Injuries
There are several types of seizures newborns can experience:
- Subtle seizures. About half of all seizures affecting newborns are subtle seizures. The symptoms may be difficult to spot, but may involve repetitive facial movements, fixed gaze, or repetitive movement of the legs.
- Clonic seizures. About a quarter of all newborn seizures are clonic seizures. These seizures may involve just one body part moving in a slow, rhythmic jerk.
- Myoclonc seizures. These serious seizures most often affect premature infants and can be an indicator of serious brain injury or brain damage. Myoclonc seizures usually involve fast jerking or twitching movements of part or the whole of an infant’s body.
- Tonic seizures. Although rarer, Tonic seizures are very frightening. They can cause prolonged contractions and can cause the infant’s eyes to roll up. In some cases, these seizures can cause an infant to stop breathing.
Some studies suggest that lack of oxygen during birth (or birth asphyxia, as the condition is known) causes about 80% of newborn seizures. Other causes can include brain injury, trauma to the baby during delivery, umbilical cord compression, and other issues.Medical Negligence in Miami Leads to Birth Injury
To prevent seizures and other problems, it is important that medical staff provide a high standard of medical care. This involves:
- Offering good monitoring and prenatal care, including checking for and treating risk factors that can lead to birth asphyxia and other complications
- Correctly diagnosing and treating premature delivery
- Correctly managing delivery and any medical devices needed for the process
- Responding appropriately to any signs of distress during delivery
- Responding correctly to newborn seizures to protect the infant and diagnose and treat any existing neurological problems
When medical professionals fail to take these actions, newborns may face lack of oxygen during their first few moments of life and this can lead to seizure disorders and other complications. Newborns who experience birth asphyxia and seizures may face a lifetime of injury. Newborns who have suffered birth asphyxia may experience developmental delays, breathing problems, and many other life-altering problems. In some cases, these infants have serious, permanent injuries that require a lifetime of care.
If your child has a seizure disorder, you will want answers. A review of medical records can help determine what has caused the injury. You can work with a personal injury attorney in Miami or your community to determine whether you have a legal claim. If you have a medical malpractice claim in Miami or your community, pursuing that claim and pursuing compensation can help ensure that you have the financial resources to provide your child with the lifetime of care that they may require.
The Flaxman Law Group is a full-service law firm with a staff who can review the medical records involved in your case. If there are signs of negligence, the Flaxman Law Group can advise you of your rights and can help you pursue compensation. Contact the Flaxman Law Group today to find out more about what our law firm can do in your case.