Miami Springs Elder Abuse
Seniors should enjoy more leisure and the other pleasures of getting older. Unfortunately, many seniors are vulnerable to crime and abuse. Some caregivers intentionally prey on the elderly, taking advantage of their trust and their assets. Elder abuse in Miami Springs and Florida can be difficult to spot and can be even more difficult to stop.
If a member of your family has been injured through abuse in an assisted living facility, nursing home, or any care environment, know that you can always contact Flaxman Law Group. Our South Florida law firm has a team of attorneys with more than sixty years of combined experience in abuse, elder abuse, and personal injury cases. Contact us through our website or by dialing 866-352-9626 to set up a no cost, no commitment case consultation with a member of our legal team.Types of Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect in Miami Springs and Florida
Elder abuse in assisted living facilities, nursing homes, and other care environments can involve five main types of abuse:
- Physical abuse. One of the most common forms of elder abuse, physical abuse can involve battery and assault, hitting, punching, forcible confinement, pushing, and any form of physical threat or harm.
- Sexual abuse. Rape, sexual battery, sexual assault, and any form of unwanted sexual touching can be considered sexual abuse.
- Neglect. Since seniors are dependent in some cases on caregivers, when caregivers withhold medical care, food, clothing, adequate shelter, water, or other essentials they can be found guilty of neglect.
- Emotional abuse. This form of abuse can be difficult to spot, because it leaves no physical clues. Emotional abuse can involve harassment, threats, intimidation, humiliation, and verbal abuse.
- Medical abuse. This form of abuse involves over-medicating or under-medicating patients or denying medical attention to a resident who needs to speak to a medical professional.
- Financial abuse. This form of abuse can involve fraud, power of attorney abuse, theft, extortion, and forgery. It can also involve pushing an elderly person to sign over assets or sign financial documents they do not understand.
Emotional abuse leaves no physical scars but can be just as devastating as physical assault. Emotional and verbal abuse of seniors can lead to depression, suicidal thoughts, withdrawn behavior, isolation, and lowered self-esteem. No one deserves to live with verbal and emotional abuse, but unfortunately some seniors in care environments face this type of situation every day.
Emotional abuse can involve harsh criticism, name-calling, verbal humiliation, yelling, aggressive verbal assault, and more. Victims of this type of abuse may be belittled or even told that they are worthless. Tragically, in some cases victims are vulnerable and even believe their abuser’s words.
Emotional abuse is difficult to spot, precisely because it leaves no physical clues. A victim may act more withdrawn or may be more isolated. In cases where emotional abuse is coupled with physical abuse or other abuse, it may be easier to notice. Nevertheless, any changes in an elderly family member’s behavior or physical condition should be investigated.
The attorneys at Flaxman Law Group believe that seniors should be valued and protected. When abuse occurs, our attorneys aggressively pursue justice and compensation on behalf of seniors. While our work cannot eliminate abuse that has already occurred, it can help seniors and their families secure financial resources to pay for medical care, counseling, rehabilitation, and quality care. To connect with the compassionate and professional legal team at our law firm, contact us for a free consultation.