Bed Sores Treatment
If bedsores impact an elderly loved one in a nursing home, you will want to contact a nursing home abuse and negligence attorney in Hollywood, Homestead, Miami, or your community for advice. Bedsores are a serious skin injury which is entirely preventable, so they are often signs of negligence.
If you’d like to speak to a South Florida or Hollywood nursing home abuse and negligence attorney, you can contact Flaxman Law Group at 866-352-9626 for a free, no obligation consultation.Treating Bedsores
In addition to contacting a Hollywood nursing home abuse and negligence attorney, you will want to ensure your loved one gets treatment for bedsores. Treatment can involve:
- Detection. The earlier bedsores are discovered, the quicker they can be healed, before tissue is affected and serious complications set in.
- Monitoring. Bedsores need to be monitored to ensure they are not getting infected and the resident needs to be monitored to ensure new bedsores are not developing.
- Regular repositioning. Patients in beds should be repositioned every two hours and patients in wheelchairs need to shift every fifteen minutes. This can be a concern with a nursing home which has already allowed some bedsores to develop.
- Pressure reduction. Pillows and cushions can be used to keep affected areas away from any pressure which can make bedsores worse.
- Cleaning. Proper bedsore cleaning can reduce the risk of infection.
- Wound care. The bandages on bedsores need to be secured properly and changed regularly to prevent infection.
- Medication. Bedsores can be painful, so pain medication may be needed. Topical medications can also help treat pain at the site. Some doctors will also prescribe antibiotics to prevent or treat infection. It’s important that residents with bedsores are evaluated by a physician.
- Tissue removal. When bedsores have not been detected and treated early, the tissue surrounding them may start to die. It may need to be removed, either by using water or through surgical methods. Sometimes, surgery will be required to cover an affected area with skin and tissue from another part of the body.
- Negative pressure therapy. In this therapy, a special vacuum device is used to clean the bedsore.
- Counseling or therapy. Bedsores can be a painful and difficult condition, sometimes leading to depression, anxiety, isolation, and other problems. Counseling or mental health support can help.
If bedsores have affected an elderly family member in a nursing home, contact a nursing home abuse and negligence attorney in Hollywood, Homestead, Miami, or your community for a consultation. You may have a claim and may be able to seek compensation so you can pay for quality medical treatment. Treatment for bedsores can be very expensive, especially if your loved one needs considerable therapy. Compensation from a claim can help you pay for the best care and treatment.
If you’d like to know whether you have a claim, contact Flaxman Law Group at 866-352-9626 for a free consultation with a Hollywood nursing home abuse and negligence attorney. Our offices in Homestead, Hollywood, and Miami serve the entire South Florida area.