We represent injured people with all types of accident claims

North Miami Elder Abuse

Elder abuse in North Miami and across South Florida is unfortunately all too common. It can affect any senior. Perpetrators include family and friends, caregivers, other seniors, and the very staff at nursing homes that are supposed to be taking care of the elderly.

Seniors are vulnerable to abuse and if a loved one has been abused, contact the law firm of Flaxman Law Group. Whether you have questions about your rights or about the insurance process, our legal team can help you understand what options exist based on the specifics of your situation. The attorneys at Flaxman Law Group can arrange a free consultation for you so that you can review your situation with a member of our legal team.

A Closer Look at Elder Abuse: Physical Abuse

Elder abuse can involve financial abuse, sexual abuse, emotional abuse, verbal abuse, and neglect. One of the more common forms of abuse, however, is physical. Physical abuse can involve hitting, punching, striking, or hitting a person. For the elderly, this type of abuse can be especially deadly, since seniors may not have enough strength to defend themselves and may take longer to heal from lacerations and fractures when compared with a younger adult. Physical abuse can leave some signs, including:

  • Bruises
  • Black eyes
  • Lacerations
  • Fractures
  • Head injuries
  • Unexplained wounds
  • Withdrawn behavior
  • Depression
  • Sleeping or eating disorders

It is important to get answers if you notice any symptoms in an elderly family member. Getting help quickly is essential, since physical abuse can escalate and can even become deadly.

Where to Turn for Help

You can seek help in cases of elder abuse by contacting the police. Assault and battery as well as sexual assault are crimes in North Miami and Florida. Financial fraud and theft can also lead to criminal charges. If your elderly family member is in a nursing home or care facility, you may wish to report the abuse or neglect to the managers or owners of the facility as well as to the agency overseeing the facility.

In many cases, you can also turn to your elderly family member’s doctor for help. A doctor can evaluate any medical complications or injuries related to the abuse or neglect and can start treatment. In addition, a physician can start to gather evidence in case you decide to pursue criminal or civil charges against the perpetrators.

Another source of help may be a personal injury attorney in your community. In instances of abuse, you may have a legal claim against the abusers and any other liable parties who allowed the abuse to take place. Pursuing a claim in civil court or through negotiations can help you pursue compensation so that you can pay for your family member’s medical care and for a better quality of care.

Do you need legal advice because you suspect that a loved one has been the victim of neglect or abuse at an assisted living facility, nursing home, or other care environment? The team of attorneys at Flaxman Law Group would like to offer assistance. We can schedule a free case consultation for you so that you can discuss your specific case with a member of our law firm. Find out what your rights are and what options your family has. Contact Flaxman Law Group today at 1-866-FLAXMAN (1-866-352-9626).