North Miami Beach Medical Neglect
Many reports and studies have shown that our society does not do enough to provide care and protection for the elderly. The elderly should be honored for the lives they have led and respected in their age. Unfortunately, all too often seniors fall prey to elder abuse in North Miami Beach and Florida. This abuse can take many forms, including financial abuse, physical abuse, neglect, and sexual abuse. One common form of neglect that can occur is medical neglect, which involves not providing adequate levels of medical attention.
For an elderly person with existing medical conditions, medical neglect can lead to life-threatening injury and even fatalities. If you suspect that a loved one is the victim of abuse or neglect, you need to act quickly. You can contact Flaxman Law Group today to arrange a free consultation to discuss what you can do immediately to protect a family member from this type of neglect.What Medical Neglect in North Miami Beach and Florida Looks Like
Medical neglect can take many forms:
- Staff at a nursing home or assisted living facility not providing medication for patient
- Staff at a nursing home or assisted living facility failing to call 911 or doctor when a resident or patient becomes ill
- Parents not taking a child to a dentist or to a doctor when one is needed
- Staff at a hospital, clinic, or other healthcare setting not taking care of patients in reasonable time frames, allowing the patient to succumb to their injuries or suffer serious complications as a result
Medical neglect can take place in many environments:
- Assisted living facilities
- Long-term care facilities
- Hospitals and clinics
- Doctors’ offices
- Nursing homes
Any time that a patient or person does not get adequate medical care, medical neglect is a possibility and it is important to explore this option as well as any legal remedies possible by speaking with a personal injury attorney.Medical Neglect Can Lead to Serious Injuries and Even Fatalities
Medical neglect can mean that someone does not get needed medical attention in time and therefore sustains serious injuries or complications. This type of neglect is especially likely to lead to injuries and fatalities for residents of nursing homes and other care environments. There are many reasons why medical neglect in nursing homes and assisted living facilities can be especially dire:
- Patients at these facilities may have underlying conditions or may be elderly and therefore more vulnerable to illnesses or complications.
- Patients may be unable to get medication or other treatment themselves and maybe relying on staff to provide treatment.
- Patients may have conditions that prevent them from communicating effectively, making it difficult for them to note signs of pain or other symptoms. These patients may be relying on staff to notice that something is wrong and to provide adequate treatment.
- Patients in these facilities may not be able to go to a doctor or dentist themselves, so if staff do not provide them with medical care they may have no options or no place to turn to get medical care themselves.
Do you suspect that medical neglect has caused an injury to yourself or a loved one, get legal advice about your situation by contacting Flaxman Law Group. Flaxman Law Group is a full service law firm with offices in Miami, Homestead, and Hollywood. The legal staff at our firm are pleased to serve the entire South Florida area.