North Miami Assisted Living Negligence
In Florida, assisted living facilities range from large hospital-like facilities that house more than 500 patients to small home-like environments that resemble condos or personal homes. These facilities are owned and operated by public companies, larger corporations, or by individuals and families. Services offered also vary widely. Obviously, when families need to make the difficult decision to place a loved one in an assisted living facility, there is a lot of choice.
Of course, every family hopes that they make the right choice, but what happens when a loved one is injured due to negligence or abuse at an assisted living facility in North Miami or another city? You may be able to contact authorities as well as the licensing bodies for the assisted living facility in question. However, you may also have a legal claim that helps you seek the financial resources that can help your loved one. To find out more, contact Flaxman Law Group for a free, no obligation case review.What Can Be Done To Prevent Assisted Living Facility Negligence And Elder Abuse In North Miami?
There are many things that can be done to help families avoid negligence and abuse in assisted living facility settings:
- Families can research assisted living facilities before placing a loved one in them
- Families and friends can visit residents in assisted living facilities to notice any early signs of negligence or abuse
- Families and friends can act quickly when they see signs of abuse and negligence, removing the resident before violence is allowed to escalate
- People can write to their elected representative and to the organizations tasked with overseeing assisted living facilities in order to demand stronger enforcement and tougher rules for these facilities
- When abuse and neglect does occur, families can pursue justice through the legal system to ensure that abusers are made to face the consequences of their actions
Unfortunately, in some cases, even when friends and loved ones do everything right, abuse and negligence in the assisted living setting still takes place. In these cases, the best thing to do is to maintain good communication with residents so that you can notice when negligence and abuse first arise so that you can act quickly in order to move a resident from an abusive situation and then quickly take steps against the assisted living facility to prevent further abuse and neglect.Why Does Assisted Living Facility Negligence And Abuse Take Place?
There are many reasons why abuse and neglect is allowed to happen at assisted living facilities:
- High staff turnover
- Some assisted living facilities are owned by large corporations who are not aware of the daily conditions in a facility
- Poor staff training
- Lack of supervision
- Lack of staff screening
- Lack of resident screening
- Inadequate security precautions at a facility
- Poor policies and procedures on the part of the facility administrators and owners
There is no excuse for providing a low standard of care for residents of an assisted living facility. Under Florida law, these residents are protected and are expected to have a good standard of life and reasonable quality of care. When they do not, concerned friends and loved ones have a duty and a right to step in and intervene.
If you have a loved one who has been affected by assisted living negligence, contact Flaxman Law Group to speak with our attorneys. Our attorneys have more than six decades of experience helping personal injury plaintiffs from all walks of life fight for justice in their cases.