Miami Lakes Hit and Run Accident
If you are in a hit and run car accident in Miami Lakes or anywhere in Florida, report your accident at once to the police. Leaving the scene of an accident is a crime, and the quicker authorities at least know about the accident the sooner they can pursue the at-fault driver. In addition to calling the police, get medical help and contact a personal injury attorney.
Getting compensation in a hit and run accident can be a challenge because you don’t have the insurance information of the at-fault driver. However, there are still things you can do to get compensation. The Flaxman Law Group has handled these types of situations and can often look for compensation through your own insurance carrier or can pursue other liable parties. To find out what is possible in your case, contact the Flaxman Law Group for a free case evaluation.Why do Drivers Leave the Scene of an Accident?
There are many reasons why a driver may leave the scene of a car accident or truck accident:
- The driver may be driving under the influence
- The driver may have an expired license or have no license
- The driver may have no insurance
- The driver may be driving a stolen car or may have stolen property or other illegal goods in the car
- The driver may have an outstanding warrants for their arrest on another charge
- The driver may already have multiple car accidents on their record and may not want to see their insurance premiums go up or may not want to be held accountable for the accident
- The driver may not want to face responsibility for the accident
- The driver may panic and lead the scene of an accident
State law requires you to stay and offer aid as well as contact information in any car accident or traffic accident that results in injuries or fatality. Leaving the scene of an accident is the worst thing you can do. Not only will you be held liable and may face criminal charges, but it is highly unethical to leave someone if they are injured. If that person does not get medical help in time, they may die or may face complications from their injuries.
Even if you are afraid or worried, it is important to stay and offer assistance. Even if you're not sure whether someone has been injured, it is important to stop and exchange contact information and make sure that there are no injuries. A hit and run driver who leaves the scene of an accident can face up to 30 years in prison if a fatality or serious injuries have occurred due to the car accident. Even in cases where no injuries have occurred, a hit and run driver may face misdemeanor charges in the incident.
If you have been injured by a hit and run driver, you do have legal options that you can review with a personal injury attorney in Miami Lakes or your community. In civil court, you can pursue a hit and run driver and seek compensation for injuries, lost wages, medical expenses, and other damages. To review all your options, contact the Flaxman Law Group for a free case review of your situation. You may have more legal options than you realize.