Hallandale Beach DWI/DUI Car Accidents
There is simply no excuse for driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Drivers are well aware of the risks of drunk driving and there are many educational campaigns in place to explain the dangers of driving drunk. Nevertheless, inebriated drivers and drivers who take illegal substances continue to get behind the wheel of their cars when they are unable to drive safely. Each year, people are killed or seriously injured due to these negligent drivers.
If you have been hit by a drunk driver in Hallandale Beach or another Florida community, contact Flaxman Law Group to speak with a personal injury attorney. Flaxman Law Group is a full service law firm with offices in Miami, Homestead, and Hollywood. Your initial consultation with us is free and comes with absolutely no obligation.DUI/DWI Crashes Lead to Catastrophic Injury
There are many reasons why drunk driving accidents tend to be serious:
- They often involve speed, especially since drunk drivers may not notice how fast they are traveling
- Someone who is driving when inebriated often cannot maneuver in time to lessen the impact or avoid a collision due to poor response times and judgment
- Many drunk driving accidents tend to be hit and run accidents, meaning that victims may not get life-saving treatment in time because there's no one there to help them after an impact
Unfortunately, even if your insurance is excellent you may run into some problems. Many people who have been injured in a DUI accident find that the drunk driver hires a defense attorney to aggressively fight the charges against them, arguing that they were not drunk or that a field sobriety test was administered incorrectly. In some cases, drunk drivers seek out technicalities in order to escape liability for the accident. In other cases, insurance carriers may undervalue a claim.Seeking Financial Damages and Punitive Damages After a DUI Crash
If you have been injured by a drunk driver, you may want to file a personal injury claim in Hallandale Beach or your community. Seeking a personal injury claim allows you to seek financial damages as well as punitive damages. Financial damages allow you to recover money for:
- Medical bills
- Hospital stays
- Surgical costs
- At-home care or assisted living facility costs
- Ongoing medical treatments, such as rehabilitation, physical therapy, and other options
- Counseling and therapy
- Property damage
- Car repairs and car replacement
- Lost wages
- Future expected medical costs
- Future expected lost income
- Medical devices
- Incidental costs
In addition to the above expenses, however, you may also be able to seek punitive damages in a drunk driving accident. These damages are an additional way to hold the drunk driver financially accountable for the accident while sending a strong message that drunk driving is never acceptable. Punitive damages can help encourage drunk drivers to get the help that they need and sends the message that this type of behavior will not be tolerated. It can be an additional push to ensure that drunk drivers do not get behind the wheel inebriated again.
If you would like to speak to a personal injury attorney today about your case, contact Flaxman Law Group at any time for a free case evaluation.