Coral Springs, Florida
Coral Springs is a southern Florida community located in Broward County. The planned community has a very low crime rate as well as strict codes to ensure that the city stays beautiful. As a result of the strict rules, Coral Springs has few commercial signs, few tall buildings, and few eyesores. As a result, it also has one of the highest property value rates in the area.
Coral Springs residents, like residents across Florida, are an aging population. Many families of Coral Springs residents eventually find that they have to place an elderly loved one in the assisted living facility or nursing home in order to provide the elderly loved one with around-the-clock medical care and assistance for daily tasks when these become overwhelming. While many nursing homes and assisted-living facilities strive to provide a high standard of care, instances of Coral Springs nursing home abuse and neglect have become more frequent in recent years. The types of abuse and neglect that are common in these cases include:
1) Sexual abuse. Staff and other residents of a nursing home can sexually assault or abuse a patient, especially in cases where a patient is too ill to fight back or to speak up against their attacker. Sexual assaults by other patients can be extremely difficult, especially, since a nursing home may be unwilling to remove another patient even after an attack. However, nursing homes have an obligation to provide safe care for all residents, so families can legally fight back if nursing home staff allow one resident harm another.
2) Physical abuse. In cases where overstaffing or incorrect staff screening occur, some staff may physically harm patients by hitting them, slapping them, illegally restraining them, and otherwise harming them. This can lead to broken bones, bruising, and other serious injuries.
3) Emotional abuse. Emotional abuse is difficult to detect because it leaves no physical marks. However, it can be just as painful, causing someone to feel worthless, ashamed, upset, and withdrawn and isolated. Emotional abuse can include belittlement, mocking, insults, or isolation.
4) Financial abuse. In some cases, unscrupulous staff at assisted living facilities will remove items from a patient's room, will steal assets from a patient, or will try to induce a patient to sign over documents, assets, cash, or other items to them. In many cases, families do not realize that this has occurred until much later because a patient may not realize that they have been robbed or may be too ashamed to admit what has happened.
5) Neglect. Neglect can involve any situation in which staff at an assisted living facility fail to provide the basic essentials of life. This can include not providing adequate food, not providing adequate medical care or the correct dosages of medications, or simply not spending time with the patient, so that they are isolated.
If you believe that an elderly loved one is the victim of Coral Springs elder abuse and neglect at a nursing home or assisted living facility, arrange for a free, no obligation consultation with the Flaxman Law Group to discuss your concerns. The legal team at the Flaxman Law Group have extensive experience dealing with southern Florida injury cases as well as nursing home neglect cases. The caring and compassionate legal team at the Flaxman Law Group have the resources to investigate abuse allegations, document evidence of abuse or neglect, and aggressively pursue your rights so that you and your family get the compensation assistance that you deserve. The Flaxman Law Group can also negotiate with nursing homes and insurance companies, can advise you of your rights and options, and can help you determine what steps you can take to protect your elderly loved one. Contact the Flaxman Law Group today to arrange for a free consultation to discuss your case.